Monday, October 19, 2009

From the Inside Out

For a homework assignment, we were to browse about some websites displaying the work of artists. The one artist that struck me was Michael Manly and his most recent post about a trip to the Wagner Institute to study their collections of animal skeletons. I found his quick study of the horse to be impressive for being done in only an hour. It also kind of surprised me that a cartoonist/animator would be so involved in such classic styles and studies of art.
This is Manly's sketch above. I thought that this find would help me in some way with my AP concentration with the horse. It reminded me that even though I am prusuing a more intimate view of the horse in my concentration, I must always refer back to the basics to make sure that proportions and structure is as accurate as possible. Because I mean, c'mon, wouldn't a long necked horse look kinda funny? Maybe even like a giraffe?

No comments:

Post a Comment